Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter!!


I’m happy.  Easter always makes me happy, and the wonderful weather outside is also contributing to the effect.  I had the opportunity to celebrate it with some wonderful people, and it was also an occasion to renew my faith.

This week was also a new for my culinary experiences.  As I told you in my previous blog, I had my first attempt at making Figolli (a traditional maltese Easter sweet).  And here are the results:


It wasn’t as easy as I thought as it would be, mainly because the pastry was very crumbly, and impossible to roll.  So I was a bit creative and instead of rolling it pressed it and played with it, like we used to play with plasticene.  Well, in the end I somehow managed to produce 6 small easter lambs.  I also managed to find half chocolate eggs, which aren't so common here.  If I somehow managed to produce figolli, I didn't manage to decorate them as I wanted to.  My chocolate wasn't as fluid as it should have been.  It resembled more nutella than molten chocolate.  Infact the amount of chocolate on each figolla varies greatly on the amount of patience I had left, as you can see in the image below. 


As they say practice makes perfect, but I'll doubt if I want to practice this anymore.  It's too time consuming.  Anyway the people who tasted them, said that the taste is great.  

More on Food
One of the assignments I'm preparing for at the moment, (dealing with environmental issues) is about food, and I’ve suddenly become more conscious of the processed food I’ve been eating.  I started looking at the ingredients on the packets, and I was shocked.  For instance, I realised that what I thought to be Chicken nuggets were actually not.  The writing says Chick’n nuggets and they're suitable for vegetarians.  Baffled as to how chicken nuggets could be vegetarian, I gave a look at the ingredients and found no chicken but plenty of other substances with difficult names.  I'm traumatized.  God knows how much rubbish of this sort I have ate, without really noticing.  I promised myself that I will be eating less of this stuff, and more healthy and organic food.



No comments:

Post a Comment