Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's in Chicago


Hi there,
This week’s blog comes to you later than usual and in a short version, as I didn’t feel like writing a lot this week.  In the beginning of the week I got the sad news that my uncle passed away.  Being away from home, makes such circumstances more difficult, as families provide quite a strong support system.  Fortunately enough, now I’m feeling much better and yesterday I had the opportunity to enjoy St. Patricks’ day, of which I'm sharing some below. 

St. Paddy’s.
Chicago celebrates St. Patrick’s day, in quite a grand manner.  They organise a big parade, and everyone wears green.  There are parties everywhere, and its quite fun.  Yet, the most impressive thing for me is that they also dye the river green.
River dyed green for St. Patrick's Day

The river is already green, but on this day its colour changes to a more vivid green.  Apparently this is done by adding orange (rather than green).  This makes the river look very green and irish, and adds to the euphoria.  The atmosphere was quite nice, and probably the warm weather helped a lot.  Needless to say, beer is the protagonist of the feast (not much the Saint himself).  I went out to see what was going on, met some friends, and in the end we ended up in a pub, where I met some very nice new people, who liked me and gifted me with a number of souvenirs of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment