Saturday, March 24, 2012

Relationships & Change


This week was quite an interesting week.  In classes we had very interesting discussions centred on individualism and how it adversely affects American society.  In a way I realise how lucky I was to grow up in a context were community is very strong and relationships are really treasured. 
 
You know, it is quite ironic that I came here to discover how precious what I left back home is.  The people in class kept harping on how necessary it is to build such communities, which have certain values, which do not necessarily pursue maximization of profits.  These values are mostly present in Maltese society, and this makes me quite proud.  Yet, with our ever-increasing progress, life in Malta is changing too.  And from what I’m hearing here, it isn’t necessarily changing for the better.  Although better economic prosperity is a good thing, we need to make sure that in this change we do not loose our values which form the backbone of our society.  We have to avoid becoming more individualistic, we have to think about a community, a community in which we become one big family.

Listening to myself, I’m realising I’m sounding pretty much like our politicians, or church leaders.  Still, this experience here is convincing me that these words are not just clichés, and the threat to our society is a real one.  We have to embrace progress, but we have to value our identity.  We need some concrete action, and it will not be easy, especially when this means reducing our profits.
Do you think we’ll succeed in doing this? Can we bring about this change?


I do hope so!!

Some snapshots for this week

D'Amato Bakery
I discovered a D’amato Bakery in Chicago. I was told there was an Italian bakery in the area, and when I arrived it, I found out it was named in a Maltese Surname.  Mind you, apparently this surname came from Sicily.  Unfortunately it was closed, so I couldn’t check neither their bread, nor their origins.

Bellarmine
I had this wonderful opportunity of doing a sort of Lenten retreat in this wonderful place just outside Chicago.  It’s Bellarmine Jesuit Retreat House in Barrington.  It was nice to spend some time in the quiet and peacefulness, away from the hustle and bustle of Chicago’s City life.  Hopefully I will visit again this place in Summer, and maybe I’ll get a proper retreat then.





Tree Hole

Just outside the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art I came across this.  I liked the way the pavement was cut around the bark of the tree.  Altough I don’t know what happens when the tree trunk grows thicker.  Still it’s interesting and I wanted to share with you.

As you realise I still haven’t bought a camera, and am still using my phone camera.  I don’t have much time for shopping these days, but hopefully will get myself to buy one, soon.

And by the way, I haven’t mentioned Tina for a while, but Spring has done wonders on her.  She is two months old now.

No comments:

Post a Comment