Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sunshine & Hobz biz-zejt



The comforting warmth of the sun's rays in winter, the wind blowing gently, (and sometimes not so gently), and a sound of a tractor ploughing away.
No, I'm still writing from my apartment in Downtown Chicago, but these are the things which were pleasing my senses when I started writing this blog.  

Its also quite nostalgic because these things remind me of Spring in Malta.  The springs, in which I used to go to the fields with my father.  I loved lying on the grass, and nature did provide something for all senses.  Trust me, its a very nice feeling, and I wish you all to enjoy it. 

Some might ask what would a tractor be doing in the midst of Downtown Chicago.  In fact I don't think it is a tractor.  I don't know what it actually is, because I can't see the source of this sound, which to many is just noise.  But I don't want to discover what the source is, because probably then I would be disappointed, and that point the sound will change into noise, for me too.

Anyway, it is a very good feeling indeed to start spring break with :).

Yes, because today starts spring break - a week in which we have no classes.  Many have already left for exotic places, including the warmth of the sun, as it started snowing again,now.  I'm staying here in Chicago, andI'm planning to be a tourist this week.  Hopefully we'll have nice weather as it was this week.  Will update you on that in the coming blog!

Hobz biz-zejt 
This week it was my first time eating hobz biz-zejt since I left Malta.  For those of you who don't know what it is, it is probably the simplest and most common food in Malta.  It is Maltese bread, literally with olive oil.  Many times a tomato paste is spread over the bread, and all is sprinkled with salt and pepper.  Other stuff is usually added such as garlic, basil and so on.  It is definitely what I eat when I'm at home and want something quick and good, and its a good appetizer to serve with beer.  

So this week I found a bread which resembles our maltese bread, and a thick tomato paste which resembles our kunserva.  Sprinkled over with plenty of olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper, and let the feast begin. The taste is obviously not the same, but not too far from the original.  I should strike a deal with Magro brothers, Lol.  

Dealing with problems.
Before I end this week's blog, I want to share with you something which struck me from this week's readings.  

In communities, many times we have huge problems, which we find impossible to tackle.  After trying to deal with the problem we generally surrender.  An example of such a problem in my community would be youth involvement in decision making institutions.  Such a problem is too big to be solved, all at once.  One way to solve such a problem, would be to identify issues which form part of that larger problem.  These issues can be considered as a step towards solving that bigger problem.  Theses issues need to have three main characteristics.
1. They are specific (One issue at a time.)
2. A need for them should be felt.
3. They are winnable, i.e. you think that you can convince others and that the proposal will be accepted.

It is interesting because many times we are blinded in our panic to give solutions.  Thus what we do is mostly ineffective. Many times we deal with problems which are too big for us to solve.  A good start would be to divide this problem into the small issues, which are directly affecting the community.

An important aspect which is not to be left out, is that a need should be felt for this issue to be tackled in the community.  Many times, we as leaders come up with our own agenda, but rarely check if this agenda is the same as the one shared by the community.  Many times this is one of the reasons why  people do not participate.  We as leaders need to learn to listen more.  It is only by listening to the needs in our communities that we will be able to help it solve its problems.

Have a strong week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment