Tuesday, June 19, 2012

They’re doing it before me


One of my plans here in the US, was to travel across the continent from the eastern coast to the western coast.  I thought I could document it somehow, and maybe get a sponsorship of some sort.  Well someone thought about that before myself, and is doing it right now.  If you follow the link below you can see what these guys are up to.

One of the protagonists of this adventure is Beppe Severgnini, who I met last week at the Italian Cultural Institute.  He is an Italian journalist of international repute.  I remember watching him on TV, when I was back home.  Listening to him speaking, it was no wonder why he is such a famous author, because he has an easygoing and enjoyable style.  I also managed to speak to him for a while and he comes across as a very nice man and very down to earth.  I was curious to know how come not being an English citizen; he received an OBE from the Queen.  He explained that it was in recognition for his work for bringing together the two cultures: Britain and Italy.  He also did a funny autograph for me. 

Anyway, he was at the cultural institute particularly to talk about this journey, he and his team are doing.  They are crossing the United States by train: Amtrak.  It is also an adventure because, it is widely known that American passenger trains are not the best in the world.  The private car has taken over most of transportation here.  (Trains on the other hand are used a lot for goods transportation.  Some goods trains are kilometers long apparently....)  However traveling by Amtrak can be also quite an interesting experience as these guys show us.  

I suggest you do look at their videos, they’re quite fun to watch.  I’ve been told that they are also planning to go to Malta.  Yes Malta, but the one in the United States.  Actually there are plenty of Maltas in the United States.  They will be visiting the one in Montana.  I’m looking forward to what they will have to say about it.

http://video.corriere.it/giro-ciclistico-obamaland/74cb07a2-b497-11e1-8aac-289273c95a39

Moral of the story: my idea was not so original after all, but that is proof that it is doable, thus now I’m more enthusiastic about doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment