Thursday, May 9, 2013

The longest Winter of my life

I think this title would be a really a cool title for a novel, about someone who's been through a long period of depression or spiritual emptiness.  In reality what I'm going to talk you about is much more literal.  Indeed this has proven to be the longest winter of my life, and finally I can definitely say its now  over. (or at least I hope so)

My winter starts when the temperature starts dipping below 15 degrees (Celsius), and this is accompanied by rain (although not necessarily), as most of the Maltese winter days are sunny and nice. These "requirements" for the the season to be called winter appeared around the beginning of November, evidenced by the sudden surge in my energy bills.  By the end of April, the weather was still very wintry, with threats of rain, and long cloudy days.  

However May seems to have finally brought a constant good temperature, and lots of sun.

In total however, I had a winter of 6 months of cold days, the majority of which where cloudy and well below 15 degrees.  Some of the days, the temperature was well below freezing point, we had a number of snow storms, with the latest snow fall being a few weeks ago.  Indeed this was a winter which is way longer than I've ever experienced, and although I didn't contemplate suicide, at times I could feel the effects of such dreary weather.  My productivity was way lower than usual and I have been sleeping way longer than usual.

Last week however, the last day of April was very hot, and although the temperatures are now cooler, spring has really started.  The trees have blossomed, and the air smells so nice.  And in less than two months time I will be in Malta, getting grilled in the incredibly hot Maltese summers.  This time, though I will not complain about the heat, I'll just soak myself in it, and fill my heart with all those sun rays which make me so positive everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment